BLOG SEARCH

24 February 2007

Interview with The Girl Writer

Have you ever wondered or ever thought of a ‘Northeast’ kid writing or even selling a book? Believe it or not, but this is true. Her name is Immanuel Lalsanhim Keivom and she has written a book and that too, only at the age of 12!

Her book is entitled “The Girl Writer”, about her school-life back in Tokyo, Japan, where her parents were posted in the Indian Embassy. She studied from Grade 2 to Grade 5 over there.

She thought of the settings and every other things required for her book “The Girl Writer” when she was in Grade 6 plus. The short autobiography contains 35 pages, priced for Rs. 20.

Her parents, Mr. Malsawmthang Keivom and Mrs. Chinghoihkim Keivom, published her book in January 2007. Right now, the Girl Writer is doing her Grade-VII at Ryan International School in Greater Noida, Delhi.

The Girl Writer could, well, have her name in history as the youngest ever writer among the Hmars and other Sinlung originated peoples. Here is an excerpt of an interview with “The Girl Writer”:


LN = Lalremlien Neitham
ILK = Immanuel Lalsanhim Keivom


LN: What is your book “The Girl Writer” about?
ILK: It’s about my school-life back in Tokyo, Japan, where my parents were posted in the Indian Embassy. It includes about my, well… my personal experiences with my classmates and teachers and all the functions I enjoyed. Not only that, the main point of the story is my goal to be a writer; just not only a writer, but to be an internationally acclaimed writer.

LN: When did you started working with this book?
ILK: Well, I started working on the book during my summer vacation between May and June in 2006. It took me around two months to write the book.

LN: Since when did you take interest in reading and writing?
ILK: Since 2nd Grade, I have started taking keen interests in reading and especially writing.

LN: Which type of books do you take interest in?
ILK: The books that I prefer are like pre-adolescent or kid stuff, sort of books that have voodoo stuff, fantasies, magic, mysteries and, of course, adventures. I think realities are boring. I like dreaming away with imagination.

LN: Dreaming away with imagination… I like that. Which books do you read?
ILK: Actually, there are a lot of them. The list is really long – The Magic Tree House series, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Black Beauty, The White Stallion, Sherlock Holmes, Matilda, Goosebumps series, Sleepy Hollow, The Ramona series, Number the Stars, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Dracula, David Copperfield, Oliver Twist, The Wizard of Oz, Treasure Island, The Chronicles of Narnia and many more. I also read books related to my school subjects.

LN: Did you face any difficulties while working on “The Girl Writer”?
ILK: A lot, I mean, yes. I had to put things together and recall back memories from files and photos on my sketch plan. I even had to look through my old yearbooks. Writing is not at all that easy. In fact, success comes after hard work.

LN: Who edited your book?
ILK: My parents edited some of the childish expressions that I included in my book. The rest are unadulterated.

LN: Well, you are fortunate you got helpful parents.
ILK: Oh yes, and they are also very encouraging.

LN: Any plans on another book?
ILK: Yep and this time it’s going to be about Africa. It’s going to be about kids of my age enjoying and venturing for an adventure to the Savannas and deserts. I’m already brainstorming for my next book.

LN: That sounds interesting. My best wishes for your next book. I am looking forward to it.

ILK: Thanks.

0 comments: